SEMTE Support Services
Facilities and Safety
If you have a facility request please submit a ticket to SEMTE Facilities Work Order.
- SEMTE Facilities coordinates with Engineering Technical Services, Facilities Management, and other ASU services to assist you with the following and more:
- We oversee upgrades and renovations of SEMTE offices, laboratories, and classrooms
- We maintain SEMTE buildings and oversee office/lab moves; space assignments; accommodations for new faculty, staff, visitors, post-docs, and graduate students; paint requests; furniture; and equipment/furniture surplus disposal requests
- The university encourages ASU department to reuse office or lab supplies, furniture and other unneeded items. Please submit a work ticket to facilitate the removal of excess equipment from your area.
- We can also coordinate basic requests such as cleaning carpets, plumbing, door problems, and replacing lights
- Theft or property damage should be reported to [email protected] in order to initiate an insurance claim on your ASU vehicle or property
If you need time-sensitive facilities assistance during after-hours or the weekend, please contact Facilities Management at 480.965.3633.
The School for Engineering of Matter, Transport & Energy is dedicated to maintaining a safe working environment for all faculty, staff and students in research and instructional laboratories. Good safety practices goes hand in hand with good research and effective teaching.
Here you will find several important links that should be reviewed on a regular basis.
ASU’s Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) is the main point of contact for any safety questions or concerns. E-mail EH&S at [email protected] or call 480.965.1823.
Arizona State University Facilities Development & Management (FDM)
FDM continuously strives to improve the services it provides to the Tempe campus. As part of this process, FDM desires to improve responsiveness of the Tempe campus Service Center. FDM is seeking your help in making the Service Center more efficient and as effective as possible.
So that Facilities Management (FACMAN) may serve you in the most efficient and effective manner possible, please, for all non-urgent matters, submit a Service Request at: FACMAN
FACMAN asks that you complete the aforementioned on-line Service Request so that your concerns can be tracked and addressed in a timely matter. Customers submitting any non-urgent service request via the Service Center phone-line (480-965-3633) or the Service Center e-mail address ([email protected]) will be directed to the above Service Request link.
Urgent Needs should always be called in to the Service Center at 480-965-3633, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Examples of Urgent Needs include but are not limited to: flooding, power outage, hazardous materials spill, individual stuck in an elevator.
Always dial 911 for safety and/or life-threatening emergencies (fire, personal injury, suspicious package, etc.).
For any sort of emergency you should dial 911.
During normal work hours, you can contact EH&S at 480-965-1823 for minor spills or leaks. For minor spills after hours, contact ASU police at 480-965-3456.
Keys and ISAAC Access
Key Access Request and Return Process
Key requestors will need to pick up keys at the University Services Building ASU Facilities Management (FM) Lock Services. Questions can be submitted to [email protected].
The PI must submit a key request on behalf of students at this ServiceNow link: SEMTE Facilities. Select “SEMTE” for IT Support group then select “Facilities” for the Request type.
To request a key:
- Please submit a ticket to SEMTE Facilities with the following information in the description field:
- ASU ID Number – Key holder name
- Building name and room number
- If this is a student key submission, please attach an email from the PI authorizing the key request (attach to the ServiceNow ticket)
- The key holder will receive a notification via the ticket messaging system with instructions for key pickup location
- Authorized pickup persons must also present a valid form of picture identification upon request at the lock shop
Returning or Transferring keys:
Return keys to the ASU Lockshop. Questions can be emailed to [email protected].
To transfer a key between a current key holder and future key holder:
- Please submit a ticket to SEMTE Facilities with the following information
- Current key holders name and ASU ID
- The key’s code and serial number
- The location of the door the key opens (building and room number)
- The future key holders name and ASU ID
Lost or Stolen Keys:
- All lost or stolen keys must be reported to ASU Police Department and ASU Facilities Management (FM) Lock Services within 24 hours of the discovery of their loss.
- Please call Key Control at 480-965-1829 to file a loss or theft report during normal working hours.
- Key holders are responsible for all keys issued to them and will be charged a fine if their keys are lost or stolen.
- Please refer to the Key Policy for more information.
Many SEMTE labs and offices are managed by ISAAC access, which allows for approved faculty, staff, and students to use their Sun Card to enter rooms. The normal turnaround is 24-48 hours to process an online ISAAC request.
Utilizing the online request system will expedite requests, minimize paper and ink usage, as well as provide reminder emails prior to access terminating.
*****IMPORTANT: Any request for Access to labs will require the proper safety training before final access is authorized *****
Please keep in mind the following:
- Every person who is an authorized signer for a room will receive an email that there is a pending ISAAC approval request.
- The request is removed from the system once ANYONE approves the request. Considering this, please only approve forms submitted by your research group.
- The form then routes to the lab manager for review/approval.
- Once the lab manager approves the form, it will route to ISAAC Managers for final review/approval. SEMTE facilities\IT will then make the appropriate updates in the ISSAC system.
- We have changed the timeline for approvals to 1 year for all GRADUATE students. This round of approvals can be submitted for fall, spring and summer, so please approve the forms through SUMMER (the date will auto populate). Undergraduate students will still be submitting requests EVERY SEMESTER.
- Faculty, Staff and Academic Professionals will only need to request access upon hire, or when access to a new area is required. The access for these groups will not expire or be terminated until we are notified.
- Perimeter access is provided with room level access for all requests.
- If someone has an issue trying to access a space, please have them contact SEMTE Facilities at [email protected].
Please note the following:
- The emails may initially route to your junk mail folder. Please add [email protected] to your safe senders list.
- If you are trying to access the ISAAC request from an off-campus computer, you will need to establish a VPN connection. Download the VPN client “Cisco Anyconnect” from the “My Apps” at my.asu.edu. Run Cisco Anyconnect, you will need to type “sslvpn.asu.edu/2fa” into the connection field. Use your ASURITE User ID and password to connect the third field should be your preference for DUO authentication (push, phone, sms). You will now be able to access the ISAAC request application form and submit your ISAAC request from the website.
Lab Safety and Training
Lab Start-Up and Annual Registration
Environmental Health and Safety requires that a lab check-in be completed before the utilization of a newly occupied laboratory. In order to initiate a check-in, contact EH&S at 480.965.1823 or e-mail your request to [email protected].
In addition to the lab check-in, EH&S requires that all ASU labs register their lab to assist ASU with managing the storage and use of hazardous materials. The registration must be updated annually to ensure emergency contact information is up to date and chemical inventories are accurate.
Everyone who works in a laboratory must complete the necessary training. Below are resources to determine what training is required, to register for training, and to view already completed training.
Chemical Maintenance and Disposal
Arizona State University’s Chemical Hygiene Plan is a great resource for detailed information on lab maintenance and the proper processes of lab safety. It is the responsibility of the lab occupants to ensure that the chemicals are properly labeled and are disposed of in a manner consistent with federal, state, and ASU policies.
Any new hazardous chemicals in a lab must first be approved with EH&S.
Material Safety Data Sheets
- As noted on EH&S’ Occupational Health & Safety site, visit hazard.com/msds for an online searchable MSDS index.
A large bin on the first floor of ECG is available for recycling cardboard. It is located next to the elevator.
When placing cardboard outside your office or lab, please be sure to flatten the boxes, whether taking them to a recycling bin (preferred), or placing them in the hallway for pick-up by the custodial staff
General Recycling Information
The Global Institute of Sustainability has provided a guide to recycling on the Tempe campus.
In a 2007 audit, it was revealed that up to 30% of the weight of the garbage cans on campus consisted of fluids. The average fluid weight was 15%. In an effort to save money, reduce contamination of our recyclables, and keep garbage and recycling containers cleaner, please consume/use all of the liquids in beverage containers or empty them in a kitchen or bathroom sink. The reduction in liquids is also extremely helpful to custodial staff and members of the recycling crew who handle the garbage and recycling containers.
Office trash is emptied according to the custodial schedule. If you generate food waste you’d like discarded on any other day, please use public area trash cans which are emptied daily.
For questions, concerns, or if you notice a container in need of immediate service, please notify Facilities Management at 480-965-3633 to request a special pick up.
Thank you for your outstanding support of recycling!
Shipping and receiving
What is the physical address for shipping FedEx, UPS, or DHL packages to ASU?
Please use the following shipping and receiving address to ensure a successful delivery. Please note that the SEMTE front office in ECG 301 cannot receive or send chemicals.
Shipment address (non-chemical deliveries):
Arizona State University
School for Engineering of Matter, Transport and Energy DC: 6106
ATTN: (Receiver's Name, e-mail address, phone)
734 W Alameda Drive
Tempe AZ 85282
Shipment Address (chemical deliveries):
Arizona State University
Chemistry Stockroom SVS
ATTN: (Receiver's Name, e-mail address, phone)
551 E University Dr., PSG 106
Tempe AZ 85287-1604
For U.S. Mail:
Arizona State University
School for Engineering of Matter, Transport and Energy
P.O. Box 876106
Tempe AZ 85287-6106
ASU mail services delivers mail and picks up outgoing mail on a daily basis at approximately 10:00 am. There is also a USPS mailbox located on the north side of the ASU Bookstore on Orange Street. Pick-up for the bookstore mailbox is 12:30 pm Monday thru Friday.
For Federal Express Shipments
If you need to have a package sent out, please have it prepped and brought to ECG 301 by 2:00pm.
FedEx packages may be dropped at the following locations:
- FedEx Kinko’s Office and Print Center, 933 E. University Dr., Tempe, AZ 85281
(Located just East of the corner of Rural and University)
Hours: Last Express drop off 5:15 pm, Monday thru Friday and 3:00 pm on Saturday
Last Ground drop off: 6:00 pm, Monday thru Friday
- Envelopes and packs only may be dropped at the box located on the Corner of Cady and Tyler Mall, Deadline: 5:00 pm
- 3002 East Old Tower Rd., Phoenix, AZ, 95034, (Near Airport) Deadline 6:45 pm
- 2405 W. University Dr., Tempe, AZ 85381, Deadline 6:00 pm
- The main number for FedEx is 1.800.463.3339 if you have any questions
Who handles outgoing US Mail pick up?
Incoming and outgoing US mail is handled by the SEMTE front office in ECG 301. Pick-up varies from day to day, but is usually around 10:00 am. There is also a US mailbox located on the north side of the ASU Bookstore on Orange Street. Pick up for the bookstore mailbox is 12:30 pm Monday thru Friday.